A bill has been submitted to the People’s Majlis to make it mandatory to purchase plastic bags at retail stores when shopping.
According to the waste management bill submitted, MVR 2 must be charged from customers as a levy on plastic bags issued at points of sale within 30 days of the act coming into effect.
Additionally, stores must include the levy collected from customers in their invoices or receipts.
However, there are exceptions where plastic bags will be free:
- Purchases made from duty-free shops;
- Bags used to carry fresh fish;
- Bags used to put loose grains, sugar and flour;
- Wholesale purchase of more than 50 plastic bags; and
- Black bags sold to waste management facilities.